Saturday, June 14, 2008
Week 7 of Term 2.
Hello Room 4. Miss McCallister (Trainee Teacher) comes back tomorrow. She will be in Room 4 with us until 15th August. I can hear you cheering!! It will be great to have her back with us.
We have a lot of exciting activities coming up this week for BOOKWEEK. On Monday we have a visit by Tina who is the childrens' librarian at Highland Park Library. On Tuesday we are being visited by Christine Hurst who is an Author. On Wednesday selected children from the Senior school will be doing a Writer's workshop with Sharlene Bodle who is a local Author. On Friday we have our fabulous BOOK CHARACTER parade. Have you organised your costume yet??? Both our visiting authors will be available for book-signing in the LIC after the parade on Friday. Our BOOKFAIR continues in the LIC during the week and the final day is Thursday at lunchtime so get in quick to buy your books.
I had a lot of positive feedback about how much both the children and the parents liked the Home learning being web-based. We will try it again this week so here goes.
1. Remember to keep going onto our Mathletics site-this is a very valuable resource and we need to make the most of it while it is freely available to us this year. We have had many children showing improvement in their maths and earning certificates for their effort.
2. As it is BOOKWEEK and we are focusing on 'Myths and Legends' go into the link on our Favourite Sites and click on "GLOBAL TALES". Click on "AUSTRALIA", follow the instructions and read the story. Choose some of the other countries and read their myths and legends. Be prepared to retell your favourite story.
3. Go onto the link "STORYPLACE" in our Favourite Sites. Try an interactive story at this site. Click on "OTHER THEMES" and choose one of the "TOPSY-TURVY" Tales. Enjoy creating your own story. If you have a printer at home you may like to print it out but ask your parents first please.
4. Some fun interactive maths for you to have a go at-click on "ALIEN ADDITION" in Favourite Sites.
5. Click on "WICKED"-same site as last week-click on "TOPICS". Click on "EINSTEIN" and go into the "Mini Challenge". Have a look at "Einstein's timeline". See if you can create a funky timeline about YOURSELF using photos (or photocopies of photos), dates and information. Present it in an interesting way and bring it to school on Friday 20th. Points to think about:
* Consider colour, layout and design
* Check your dates are correct
* Write a brief caption for each photo
6. Spelling will come home on Thursday.
7. Dragon maths book-Page 33.
Some children have yet to bring their money and permission to attend the "Storylines show on Monday 23rd June.
Enjoy your week everyone.